Through this workshop we will guide participants to take ownership of their own stories. We live in a world where our stories are contorted and told by the dominant culture. A lot of times, these dominating narratives come back to haunt and shape our own identity through myths and stereotypes. It is time to shift the narratives and take back our voices. Defining our identity and finding our stories are the first steps to creating change in our community. We will identify, deconstruct, and reconstruct the countering narratives to the dominating narratives in order to write ourselves into the future in this world.
- Understand the role of counter-narratives in building racial equity and justice
- Learn intersectional examples of how counter-narratives have been used to resist oppression
- Ground ourselves in the stories and wisdom of our families, ancestors and community
- Develop our own counter-narratives through different modes: poetry, narrative, visual art
- Reimagine together our vision for collective liberation
Racial Justice 101
Program participants will learn the groundwork and practice of racial justice and how it relates to their lives, work and community. Throughout the program we will utilize counter-narratives as the basis for understanding how systems of oppression, like racism, impact the lives of people of color and other marginalized groups. We incorporate critical race theory, feminist theory, and intersectionality into this training.
- Understand the historical and theoretical building blocks of U.S. racism
- Receive frameworks for deconstructing the role of racism is
- Understand the role of counter-narratives in racial justice works
- Reflect upon one’s own history & family stories in the context of our racial history
- Gain tools for radical listening, allyship, and becoming an intersectional racial justice leader
Caring for Ourselves & Our Community
This workshop breaks downs how BIPOC experience racial stress, racial trauma, imposter syndrome, stereotype threat, etc. and provides practices to create space for healing. This program is a great way to launch and deepen your communal healing and caring practices.
- Unpack racial stress, racial trauma and how it impacts your life
- Evaluate your current habits of well-being and care
- Create a culture of care within your community
- Learn guidelines to center your well-being and care as YPOC